Monday, April 21, 2008

Out of control!

I just had to write about this because it has been on my mind lately and I noticed this article : http://www.newsweek.com/id/132240/page/1
It's a children's book explaining Mommy's plastic surgeries! I know, what does this say about our society? I don't pass -okay scratch that- I try not to pass judgement on those that elect to surgically alter their bodies. This is going way too far though, telling our children (in essence):"Mommy doesn't think she's good enough the way God made her so she's going to entrust her life and safety to Mr. slick plastic surgeon." and of course adding:"I just want my body to be like it was before having children (you)ruined it." I guess I just don't get it. My SIL had a 'botched' boob job (blaming the Dr.-forgeting this is ELECTIVE). Of course when you weigh 85 lbs your body won't accomodate 15lbs of implants! I guess I just don't get it, priorities. I believe in taking care of myself and that I deserve the best but I don't get the spending thousands of dollars altering my body to societies version of beauty (God's best version is'nt good enough?). Of course excess skin from weightloss, mastectomy reconstrution and things like that I can understand but other than that I just think why? Sorry I just wanted to get on my soapbox for a minute-this just bugged me;)

1 comment:

Stephie said...

AMEN!! What kind of message is this sending to our daughters?? No one, or body, is perfect or ever will be!! Take a look at Michael Jackson...only one very public example of striving for perfection gone awry...