Sunday, September 21, 2008

I can do 26.2!!


Wahoo! The Capn and I ran the Top of Utah Marathon in Logan on Saturday. It was awesome! I was worried when we got up at 4:30 in the morning and it had rained. It's hard enough deciding what to wear. We met some friends (Capn's cheif and his wife) and hopped on the bus to take us up the canyon to the starting line. That is an intimidating ride. First, you have all the jittery talking excited runners just babbling, the experienced collected runners giving advice to the newbies but the most excrutiating part was the length. That bus ride was probably close to an hour long. It just kept going and I kept thinking--"are we there yet?" (it's only 26.2 right?)Anyway, we got to the ranch up the canyon and filed out and into the potty line. It was surprisingly warm and sprinkling occasionally (much like me most of the race:). The run was gorgeous, the colors were changing and of course it was mostly downhill. It only rained on us a couple of times and we even had a rainbow! The first 15 flew by, the last couple were sooo long. I was huffin and puffin like a freight train--but I didn't stop. Capn' and I stuck together and it was good. Of course the people we came with finished like 40 min ahead of us, but for me it was about finishing. If you must know a time, our chip times came in at 4:27 and some seconds. It feels weird saying this but even though it was hard, I was expecting worse. I guess that's just cynical me--expect the worst and anything else is a pleasant surprise!! We spent the night both Fri&Sat and the kids were with the inlaws. I missed them. It was a busy week and I had worked 12 hrs Thursday (in the NICU-very cool) and was in school until I picked J&J up, then they went with grandma. It was nice to come home. Thanks for all the love and support, we did it!

5 comments:

Jen said...

Congrats! That is an awesome time and it really is a beautiful course! And you couldn't have asked for nicer weather! Glad you were able to stay with your husband the whole time. That's awesome! Hope I get to run with you and Ang soon!

Shauna said...

I'm so proud of you! I'm really glad that the weather cooperated and you had a positive experience. I though about you all day Saturday and hoped everything was great.

Funny how Cap'n's photos--before and after--look EXACTLY the same. He did run, right? JK!

Chat with you in a couple of hours.
:) Shauna

Stephie said...

YAY!! I'm proud of you! Sounds like you had a great experience and a great chip time too!! :-) Glad you're a marathon runner!! :-)

You totally rock!! Love you!!

Unknown said...

Well, I'll say it again, I am so proud of you, and jealous too. I was hoping to wake today and think "I'm a marathoner!" but alas, it is not my fate. I'm glad the Cap'n stayed with you and that you had a good run!

Angie said...

Way to go!!! That is fantastic!!!I can't imagine running for 4 hours. Way to go.