Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Happy 17th Keyan!!

Monday our Special-K turned 17, wow. I haven't known him from the beginning but it sure feels like it sometimes. He was just 4 when I met him, same age as our little K. That's just weird. Same age as his dad when he was born, even stranger. I am so proud of the young man he's become--before this get any sappier suffice it to say I know I am one lucky stepmom to have such a great boy, and example for the other yahoos!
Monday Ang and I got up early (after listening to the rush of the rain gutters all night) and pounded out 20 miles. I kept saying how this was the perfect weather to do this--I shut up about mile 18 when it started getting really dark. We then mentioned things like "as long as it doesn't hail" , "I just hate the wind", "as long as my shoes aren't sloshy" and, "we can do anything for 2 miles". Well, mother nature must've been listening and she must have a sense of humor because not only did it start raining but blowing sideways into our faces, then came the hail, I was lucky to have on longsleeves, Ang wasn't so lucky. We were drenched and cold and my legs felt like bricks. We were lapping a nearby park because we were short 1/2 a mile. There was no way I wasn't going 20. I would just be disappointed if we hadn't finished so we sloshed and shivered and okay, Ang thought I was crazy but I actually laughed my way through the last of it and we pulled up in front of her house just as her Garmin beeped 20!! Horray for us!
Of course this was just the beginning of a marathon day--Capn was on shift so I took all of the punks to lunch (brick oven, yum) for K's birthday. Then it was time for his makeover, he already had the shoes but we went to the mall and got him a haircut, new jeans, shirts and a belt. Talk about a marathon! The young punks managed to fight enough through the mall to get grounded from the Xbox for a week. Finally it ended with cake&ice cream at the atation with capn and crew!

No comments: