Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Back to School!!

This is our 'walking carpool' on the first day of school, they were so excited (as were we:). Ky is bugging me everyday-"is this a school day for me?", "Tomorrow? The Tomorrow after that?" On Monday he will be starting preschool-everyday!! Okay, weekdays, when school is in session. Exciting anyway.
I ran with my friend Ang on Monday and she introduced me to a new strange form of torture. We were doing 16 mi and she told me about how she was planning on an ice bath. I know, a WHAT? I've heard about elite runners soaking their legs in ice water after races but never considered this as something normal people would willingly do. Ang said to run it on cold and soak for atleast 15 minutes then soak in hot and I wouldn't be sore the next day.
I ran the bath and psyched myself up for the entry, which was painful. I brought my watch to make sure. I sat very still, Ang said the more you move the colder you feel. When I looked at my watch, sure my time must be up I found it had only been 5 minutes! My toes were FREEZING! That was probably the worst part, I kept thinking, I'd rather be running, I'd rather go 5 more miles than subject my body to that shock. When all was said and done though I must admit I felt great, no stiffness and barely sore the next day. I'm not sure if I can make myself do it again though, eventhough it may be good for me the thought makes me shiver!!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Sorry to tortue you! I had one too but when the shivering got too bad I climbed out. I lasted maybe 5 mins. I didn't know if I was crying because of my knee or because I was so cold! But, I really did feel great the next day!

simply kris said...

You both are crazy.

congrats on school. it's so nice to have them go back.... sigh.
thanks for entering my giveaway!

Angie said...

Okay- that seems like a form of torture-I think I would rather be sore.

Stephie said...

Okay, instead of the "bath" I like to take my shower and at the end of the shower I turn it to cold and let my legs get nice and cold with that water and it's not as painful!! :-) You are a brave woman! At least the kids are back in school: A-L-L-E-L-U-J-I-A!!!